The process of applying for a passport in Kenya before 2017 was a hectic process to many people due to the lack of knowledge on how to go about it. However, with the introduction of the e-passport system the process has now been changed and ease for the benefit of the general public. You can now apply for, renew or replace and pay for your passport online. This article features the e-passport application procedure, charges and crucial information one need to have when applying for a passport in Kenya.
- Application procedure
First an applicant must start by registering on www.ecitizen.go.ke, this is an online government platform where one is able to access government services including passports application.
Secondly, ones logged in, go to the department of immigration services, Click on the e-passport application form and fill it.
Ones complete with filling in, select the mode of payment and make your payment.
Thereafter download your application form and confirm that all the details provided are correct before printing. And
Lastly, Print the downloaded application form together with 3 copies of the payment receipt accompanied with the necessary documents, submit them to the nearest immigration department/center or nearest Huduma Centre for further processing. Remember that you need to submit them in person so that your biometrics may be captured as well as your digital passport photo. The process can take between 10 to 15 working days to be completed.
Understand that the type of passport will determine the amount of fees charged. A 32 paged ordinary “A” series passport will be charged Kshs. 4550.00, mutilated passport Kshs. 10,050.00, a 48 pages ordinary “B” series passport will be charged 6,050.00, east African passport Kshs. 990.00, a 64 pages “C” series passport Kshs. 7,550.00, lost passport Kshs. 12,050.00 and a diplomatic passport with 48 pages Kshs. 7,550.00.
As an applicant you will require the following at the time of submission of your application:
- An original of National Identity card and a photocopy thereof;
- Your parents National Identity cards and photocopies there of (if deceased carry with you death certificate and if you were adopted carry an adoption certificate);
- Your original birth certificate and photocopies thereof;
- Digital passport size photograph;
- Your recommender’s National Identity Card and photocopies thereof(the following may act as recommenders: an Advocate, a banker, a religious leader, civil servant or a doctor);
- If the Applicant is below 18 years old he or she will need to submit their parent/guardian’s written consent;
- 3 copies of the invoice/payment receipt;
- The pre-filled e-passport application form. And
- Old passport if you are applying for replacement.
Finally if you are applying for a renewal or replacement of a lost passport, the same is done as if you are applying for a new passport. The only different thing is that at the time of submission of the application you will have to carry with you the old passport for renewal, a police abstract on the loss of passport and a sworn affidavit of the circumstances surrounding the loss.