To conduct any business within the jurisdiction of the Nairobi County and other counties across the Country, you require a Single Business Permit from the respective County Governments where you intend to carry on the Business.

The various county governments in Kenya are responsible for issuing single business permit application to the various business types operating within the counties. The type of business permit to be issued depends on factors such as the geographical location of the business, the number of employees, business type, activities of the business among others.

Unified business permit in Kenya (Nairobi County)

The unified business permit (previously known as the single business permit) is a permit which consolidates all the licenses required for running a business within the county. It includes a trading license, a fire clearance certificate, an advertising signage license, health certificate, and a food hygiene license. All business entities ought to have a trading license and a fire clearance certificate. Entities dealing with consumables must, in addition, have a health certificate and a food hygiene license. An advertising signage license is applicable for all entities with advertising signage (300mm by 600 mm or less). The unified business permit application makes it possible for business people to apply for the different licenses in one application without going to the different institutions to obtain them. The permit is valid for one calendar year i.e. from January to December upon which an applicant ought to apply for renewal.

Unified business permit Kenya

Starting a Business in Kenya Legal Requirements

 1.) City Council Business Permit.

For you to conduct business, you need an annual business permit from the City Council. The details on the cost depend on the size of your premises and the industry you have chosen to do business in. Talk to your local City Council officers on the cost and they may visit your premises to confirm the size of the location and they will advise on how to pay. You will get a receipt when you pay, and then the certificate itself after about a week.

2.) Food/ Health Related Permits.

If you are in an industry that requires health certification such as food, bakery, beverage, salon etc. You will require a Health Inspector to visit your place of business and after they have inspected your location, you will be certified. When you pay you to receive a receipt and about a week later, you get a certificate.

3.) Fire Safety Certificate

Currently, all businesses are required to be Fire safety certified. This requires you to have at least a fire extinguisher and any other fire safety requirements a Fire safety inspector will advise you on, based on your business. After the inspection, you will be certified and get a Fire Safety Certificate.

BY: Andrew Wanga

Startibg a business in Kenya

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Free Stuff
2 years ago

Great blog right here! Also your web site loads up very fast! What web host are you using? Can I get your associate hyperlink on your host? I wish my web site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

2 years ago

you’re truly a just right webmaster. The web site
loading speed is incredible. It seems that you are doing
any unique trick. Also, The contents are masterpiece.
you have performed a magnificent process
on this matter!


[…] Before starting out, you need to do a few things, such as registering the business name, obtaining necessary licenses and permits, and complying with business taxation […]

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x